I hope any and all (Americans) who are reading this are registered to vote (the deadline was yesterday in Pennsylvania). Right now I happen to be watching yet another presidential debate. I do my best to be an informed voter and have done my fair share of research on both of this year's candidates. There are a number of very serious reasons why I support Barack Obama...and if you are truly interested...I will definitely tell you, I generally have a lot to say when it comes to government policy issues period...but this blog is for fun, a place where I do not have to take myself so seriously so as I sit here listening to how each candidate plans to uplift this country...I'm going to discuss The Audacity of Hope...
I read this book awhile ago now and it was a really great read...Barack is an exceptional writer...His other book Dreams From My Father is another goodie too so I hear...I will get around to reading it one of these days...can't have too much of an opinion about it until then and unfortunately my list of books to read is a bit out of control so who knows exactly when that will be...moving on...
In his chapter entitled Family, Barack recounts his relationship with Michelle in the early days. It's such a pleasant part of the text. Their first official date reads as follows...
"After a firm picnic, she drove me back to my apartment, and I offered to buy her an ice cream cone at the Baskin-Robbins across the street. We sat on the curb and ate our cones in the sticky afternoon heat, and I told her about working at Baskin-Robbins when I was a teenager and how hard it was to look cool in a brown apron and cap. She told me that for a span of two or three years as a child, she had refused to eat anything except peanut butter and jelly. I said that I'd like to meet her family. She said she would like that. I asked if I could kiss her. It tasted of chocolate." (Obama, 330)
I have a bazillion other "starred" passages in the book where Obama gives insightful analysis on global and race relations, interpreting the United States constitution, and the political history of this country... this is cetainly not one of those passages...but I appreciate it just the same, we are all a sucker for love every now and then...and sometimes it's just nice to sit back, relax, and cherish the moment...back to the debate!~ciao
If it's meant to be...
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment